Sunday 16 October 2011

E-Book diary (3)

I am not ashamed to admit I am terrified of computer technology. Sometimes you are trying to do something and it all mucks up, only to be given gobble-de-gook instructions as to what to do with your software. Two latest tricks have been 'update Microsoft Window 7 to Windows 9'. If anyone has done this they will find that their lovely familiar set-up is completely ruined, and in my case I had to call in technical help to restore 7 (which I love).

This week I have been fighting my way through registering 'Max MacCauley' with one of my own ISBN number with Nielsen's. I am aware that this isn't essential for Amazon/Kindle, but it is for me. I am publishing it as an Oxpens Publishing book, which is the name first used by the Oxford Writers Group (OWG)with their hugely succesful Oxford anthologies. The numbers were purchased by myself, with the idea that we could use them for the group, and any other member who wished to bring out a publication. The stumbling block was that I would have become 'The Publisher' and thus incur a huge amount of distribution work.

When you are publishing an e-book, it seems you have to register with WebPub, part of Nielsen's that allows you to put up your own details, and lots more info about your work. I think I have sussed what it's all about, with superb personal help from 'the man at Nielsen's' but it's a minor minefield that you have to negotiate.

Secondly I bought a non-royalty book cover picture from an American firm called www.bigstock.com. I love it - very colourful and eye-catching, and reminds me of the very memorable 'One Day' cover. The vector size, needed by Nathan, my wonderful graphic designer, was only £9.99. Brilliant I thought. But then it seems I have to buy it again for the 'e-mail publicity brochure' and yet again for the 'paper brochure'. Actally not too painful as another cover pic I wanted from elsewhere was £150. However, I have discovered that if I ever want to use it for a POD paperback I would have to pay a fee for every copy . . . impossible. Therefore, if I want to produce paper backs I have to go for the print-run method.

Otherwise, all going well. Mx is completed and sent off for formatting.

No comments: